THE MAIN ENGINE ROOM

Thoughts and Ramblings, from a long-time Sci Fi freak. !!WARNING!! Sometimes political commentary may sneak though!

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Hey! Finally Have Some Time!

I've decided to write about my job today, because there's just too much political stuff going on right now (Too fast and furious to keep up). Besides, if I start going off on what the Republican nominee has been spouting off about lately,....... Anyway... I love my job. I really do. I'm constantly doing something, I like the people there, the work's not really all that hard (although somewhat repetitive more often than not). Doesn't pay $50 an hour, but the benefits are good (optical, dental, health). 401k seems good; plus, how many jobs can you find nowadays, that can offer you a minimum of eight hours of overtime a week, if you want it? Not many, I'd guess. I've mentioned my work before, and probably will again; thing is, we still have people who don't really seem to understand that a job is still the best way to earn a living, for those of us with no rich inheritance or lottery mega jackpot on the horizon. What am I talking about, you may ask? Well, we've got people there who (A) consistently miss time, (B) don't pay attention to their work, (C) get into arguments with other people, and (D) just don't seem to care. Period: --You don't have a job --You want a job --You need a job --You try to get a job --You finally get a job --You alienate the other people at your job --You don't *do* your job --You complain about how your job sucks --You lose (or quit) your job (Go back nine lines, and repeat) We haven't had a full crew on my shift (can't speak for the others, but I think it's similar) since our first work day at the beginning of JANUARY. We've had several people leave (I think only two have actually quit because of another job; the rest were let go), and we've been trying to fill the gaps, but for the most part, it just seems hard to get people who are adept at following rules. If the rules say you can NOT text while on the work floor, then, YOU DON'T TEXT WHILE ON THE WORK FLOOR. It's pretty self-explanatory. That's just one example, however--attendance also seems to be an issue for some reason. Also not that hard to figure out: come to work when you're supposed to be there, and do the job. What's the hard part to figure out? I think I should throttle back a little, otherwise I'll have a rant that will go on for quite a while. What it all comes down to, is this: If a company hires you, it shows a bit of trust on their part, that you'll come in when you're supposed to come in, and do your job to the best of your ability. Why would you slap down that trust, by behaving like you're doing THEM a favour by being there, and not the other way around? Am I a 'company man', proud of what I do and where I work? Yes. Yes, I am. And, no, I don't care if people make light of that--I have a job, I like it, I'm good at it, and I'll do my damnedest to make sure it's still there for me tomorrow. If people think that's amusing, so be it. But at least I'll still be working.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counters
Free Hit Counters