THE MAIN ENGINE ROOM

Thoughts and Ramblings, from a long-time Sci Fi freak. !!WARNING!! Sometimes political commentary may sneak though!

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Blue Light...Extinguished

You know, everyone has fallen on some hard times lately; not only people, but businesses, as well. Especially retail. A lot of shops, stores, and shopping malls have closed down, adding to the vast unemployment going on throughout the country. And while I'm always sympathetic to people losing their jobs, I'm especially saddened by the recent closings of some local K-Mart stores.

K-Mart seemed to be in business forever; in fact, I really can't think of too many people who haven't shopped at one at some point in their lives. In fact, I myself have gotten a lot of things from them throughout the years: back-to-school clothes, toys, books, records (yes, LPs), watches, snacks, everyday and work clothes, bedding, kitchen utensils, you name it. K-Mart ended up being something of a punchline, but for a while, it was a great place to shop.

Now, word's come down that a few local ones---on top of others in the State---are slated for closing. The ones near me, have been there for I don't know how long. Plus, a friend I've known since high school worked at one for *YEARS*, which adds to the sadness. The biggest WTF?! , though, is the fact that while the employees are being let go from these stores, they can apply to OTHER stores, and *if* they are accepted, they have to start at the bottom of the pay scale. Again.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Someone told me, that since SEARS 'merged' with K-Mart, they wouldn't be surprised if SEARS took a hit sometime soon. Wouldn't surprise me in the least...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counters
Free Hit Counters